Teriyaki chicken rice bowl with Asian slaw is a family favorite recipe for dinner AND it’s a restaurant copycat recipe that you won’t want to miss!
I can’t believe I haven’t posted this recipe yet! This is one of our top most requested dinners! There is a local restaurant who makes this combo…we love it…we copied it…we share it! When our kindergartner was the Student Of The Week he told the whole class his favorite food was Teriyaki Chicken….yep…we have a WINNER here! You’re family will love this delicious dinner recipe of Teriyaki chicken with rice and a delicious Asian slaw.
*This post may contain affiliate links.
I have a friend who used to work at a high-end restaurant who told me how the chefs prepared their teriyaki skewers. I use this same process to show you how to caramelize the scratch-made teriyaki sauce as you cook the chicken…then you de-glaze the pan with ginger water! This little secret infuses the chicken with the most AMAZING fresh ginger flavor while coating the chicken with sweet and savory sauce! The combination of sizzling hot chicken, warm sticky rice and cold-crisp Asian slaw, tossed with our Asian Vinaigrette, is the perfect combination of flavors and textures. Now…I’m out of here…today is #5’s birthday and she has chosen this as her birthday dinner!
Love and fresh ginger,
If you like this delicious chicken recipe, you may like these easy dinner recipes also:
How to make Teriyaki Sauce
FIRST… MAKE YOUR TERIYAKI SAUCE!
This literally takes 10 minutes and makes ALL the difference! Don’t use bottled yuck! Make this super EASY sauce!
- Toss brown sugar, soy sauce, oil and spices in a heavy pot. Boil 4 minutes while stirring.
- Stir cornstarch with cold water together until combined.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into sauce…boil and stir 2 more minutes. THAT’S IT! You have just made to-die-for homemade teriyaki sauce!
How to Cook Teriyaki Chicken
- Over medium-high heat put 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a hot sauté pan.
- Add about 1 cup diced chicken and spread out evenly in the pan.
- Allow chicken to sizzle for a couple minutes, avoid the temptation to stir fry the chicken in the pan.
- Allow chicken to brown on the bottom. P.S. ***You might want to toss your sticky rice in the rice cooker now! 🙂
5. Pour 1/4 cup of prepared teriyaki sauce over the chicken. Allow the sauce to caramelize in the pan for about 10 seconds.
6. Next stir fry the sauce and chicken altogether. You will notice the caramelized sauce may begin to stick in the bottom of the pan.
7. Enter….GINGER WATER! This is such a great secret! With all the delicious bits of caramelized sauce sticking to the bottom of the pan, you need to de-glaze the pan so they do not burn. Using ginger water adds the AMAZING flavor and essence of fresh ginger without burning the fresh ginger while sauteing the chicken. Simply stir together 1/2 cup water and 2 Tble fresh ginger paste (or 2 Tble fresh ginger root finely grated). Give the ginger water a good stir and pour 2 tablespoons of ginger water into the pan to de-glaze… stirring and scraping the bottom of the saute pan. WOW….this smells incredible!
8. Continue to stir fry until chicken is cooked through and coated with teriyaki sauce. If sauce starts to get too thick or starts to clump…just add 1-2 Tble plain water and stir all together…problem solved!
9. Remove from pan and keep warm.
How to make Asian Slaw
1. Prepare your Asian Slaw by chopping the cabbage, celery, cucumber and grating the carrots.
2. Place all ingredients for the Asian Vinaigrette in the blender and blend on high for 1 minute. This emulsifies the mixture and combines everything well. Just before serving toss with Asian Slaw vegetables! YUM!
3. Your rice cooker should been done cooking the rice by now. Serve Teriyaki Chicken over sticky white rice with the Asian Slaw on the side! DIVE IN! Sometimes my kids will stir the whole dish together instead of keeping items separate. Do what you want! It’s all DELISH!
Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowl w/Asian Slaw
*From our list of TOP MOST REQUESTED DINNERS! Enjoy!
3 lbs raw chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tble oil
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
**Combine all ingredients and cook at a rolling boil for 4 minutes, while stirring.
Stir together until combined:
1/2 cold water
1 1/2 Tble corn starch
**Stir corn starch mixture into sugar/soy sauce mixture.
**Boil together for 2 minutes while stirring.
½ cup water
2 Tble fresh ginger root paste*
*(you will find this with the fresh spices in the produce department of the grocery store. If you can not find this, you can buy fresh ginger root at the grocery store. Simply peel it and grate it VERY finely…2 Tble worth and stir it into the ½ cup of water)
Stir water and ginger paste together…you will use this to deglaze the pan as you cook the chicken in the caramelized teriyaki sauce. This infuses the teriyaki chicken with the most delicious flavor!
Over medium-high heat put 1 tablespoon of oil in a hot sauté pan. Add about 1 Cup diced chicken and spread out evenly in the pan. Allow chicken to sizzle for a couple minutes, avoid the temptation to stir fry the chicken in the pan. Allow chicken to brown on the bottom.
Pour 1/4 cup of prepared teriyaki sauce over the chicken. Allow the sauce to caramelize in the pan for about 10 seconds. Then stir fry the sauce and chicken altogether. You will notice the caramelized sauce may begin to stick in the bottom of the pan.
Give the ginger water a good stir and pour 2 tablespoons of ginger water into the pan to deglaze the saute pan… stirring and scraping the bottom of the saute pan. Continue to stir fry until chicken is cooked through and coated with teriyaki sauce.
Remove from pan and keep warm. Repeat with remaining chopped raw chicken and sauce. (You do not need to clean the saute pan between batches, just rinse out any remaining sauce).
Just before serving, garnish with sesame seeds and fresh green onion as desired . Serve over white sticky rice with Asian Slaw on the side! Enjoy!
1 Cabbage, chopped
1 large Carrot, grated
3 Celery ribs, chopped
1 large English cucumber, sliced into half-moon slices
**Toss with dressing and serve with Teriyaki chicken and rice.
2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup rice vinegar
3 Tble sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp Dijon mustard
4 Tble water
2 tsp celery salt
*Blend all together in blender on HIGH until emulsified and milky-looking. Serve over slaw.
4 cups sushi rice
6 cups water
*Cook in rice cooker. Enjoy!
You may also like: