I know it’s totally last minute but I wanted to share this easy Butterfly Valentine’s Mailbox idea with you anyway. If you are a last-minute kind of mom, you’ll need this today. This weekend my daughter and I had to make a Valentine’s mailbox for her class party. I had less than 30 minutes to devote to this and I needed my daughter to be able to do most of it. This easy valentine butterfly box took us maybe 15-20 mins. I originally saw this idea on I Heart Crafty Things, so you can see how she made it over there too. This butterfly craft would also work as a fun preschool or school craft for your insect or nature unit. It’s a great way for kids to collect things too.
Also, I just want to thank you . . . I hope you know how much I appreciate each one of my readers, followers, gurus, or whatever you want to call yourself. I think of you as my friends. What started out as a little hobby to write my thoughts, save my ideas, and fill an empty spot in my day when my kids all went to school has turned into something so much more. I really didn’t even expect anyone to follow or read my site. It’s now a labor of love. This website is my little corner of the world to make a difference, to share, and to help others. It’s not much and I am constantly aware of what needs to be improved on it. There’s always something that I could do better. But I hope you know that I think of my readers a lot. I want this to be a place that will uplift us both. What will inspire us . . . what will make us laugh . . . what will help us focus on what matters most? These are all things I ask myself everyday. So again, thank you for your time. Thank you for your support.
Happy Valentine’s Day my blissful friends!
Now onto the easy butterfly craft for Valentine’s Day:
You will need:
1 large cylinder container (I used a hot chocolate can–oatmeal containers would work well)
2 colored pieces of paper for background, trimmed to size of can (I used 8.5 x 11 size and it worked perfectly)
1 colored paper cut into 6 strips (about 1 inch wide) for the stripes
2 heart doilies or large paper hearts
glue stick or double-sided tape
2 googly eyes
1 pipe cleaner, cut in half
2 small fuzz balls (pom poms)
How to make your butterfly box:
1. Glue or tape your background paper around the box. We used double-sided tape and it was so easy!
2. Glue or tape your colored paper strips along the bottom half of your box. You will need 2 strips of paper per stripe to make it all the way around your box.
3. Fold the bottom of the doilies about 1/3 of the way up. Glue or tape them the bottom folded part on the back side of the box as shown above. Let the rest of the doily hang loose so they look like wings.
4. Glue on googly eyes and draw on the rest of the face. My daughter really wanted to draw on eyelashes.
5. For the lid: Carefully cut a hole in the top for Valentine’s or treasures to be put inside. Leave room for the antennae. Poke two holes for the antennae and and poke the pipe cleaners through. Bend the pipe cleaners down on the bottom side of the lid and glue down with a glue gun. This will help them be more stable.
6. Using a glue gun, attach the fuzz balls onto the top of each pipe cleaner. Replace the lid back onto the container.
The hole can be used for smaller Valentines and the lid can be removed for larger Valentines.
Hope this easy butterfly box will help someone today! Remember to spend a little time with your loved ones this Valentine’s Day!